Thursday, August 12, 2004

Olympics?

The Olympic Games at Athens,the place where..according to the adverts legends are going to be rewritten.
Legends indeed?......Ive looked up the word Legend on www.dictionary.com and its loosley discribed as "a person or action worty of a story or fame which promises to be enduring"
So enduring infact that I,with all my expansive knowledge of the world cannot name a single athlete who returned to england with a lump of gold stuffed in their back pocket at the last olympic event I dont even remember where the last olympic games were held.Dont get me ,Im sure that this shouldnt be the case...its just that I simply dont care.
Our representatives at Athens (god bless them) have trained their entire lives, never indulging in those simple pleasures such as eating a greasy burger,or staying in bed past five am.oh no,not the aspiring athlete,theyre up with the lark running round like a chipmunk on speed pushing their highly trained bodies to their highly trained limits day in day out 365 days a year, for however many years it takes them to realise their olympic aspirations ans asphyxiations and finally make it big.
Commitment like that takes tenacity,discipline,and guts.and what do they get? to wear lycra?.run or jump a bit,maybe throw a few objects as far as they can,then they get forgotten before their plane even lands on home turf.
amazing wouldnt you agree?I can name all tewlve contestants of big brother 5,I know who jordans currently shagging,I am aware of the fact that our beloved Kat Slater of eastenders is considering having her baby by cesarian section.I even know how much jessica simpson spent when whe last went underwear shopping.Im acutely aware (isnt everyone) that charlie dimmock does not wear bras and came close to last in the celebrity games event(so its not even an ignorance of sport in general).I dont care about any of these things,but Ill still remember them in a few weeks time
I probably should care about the life time of hard work and determination it takes to become an olympic champion,but I dont...I do care whats going to happen in the simpsons tonight.I should be wondering if englands going to bring home the gold from Athens this year.Im not,Im wondering if darren browns mind controll is really a fix.
citing these examples may make me sound like a lazy tv addict.Im not,I work full time run a house and own a dog,I go to the gym.. occasionally,and I consider myself more that qualified to get pissed off about this! I used to work at a equestrian centre which trained horses for the use of our olympic team.I groomed for famous horse trainers such as Victoria Hayton and Judy Bradwell.Do you know who these people are?No and that dosent suprise me, I left their stables three years ago and havent heard of them scince either.so thats what a life time of determination and cold showers did for them.
My advice for the young generation of hopefulls working their arses off to fulfill the olympic dream is fuck it,If your that bothered about winning to be famous win on drugs,then at least hello might buy your story and get your name known.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

This is my virtual pet
it would eat your virtual pets
for its virtual fucking breakfast
adopt your own virtual pet!